2. Michigan State football’s 2022 goals are still attainable
I would argue that this is No. 1, but without my actual No. 1 reason to be optimistic on this list, the goals aren’t going to be attainable for the Spartans.
This is pretty self-explanatory, however. Michigan State suffered a tough loss a-la Purdue from last year where it just felt like the Spartans were going to be on the wrong end of a shootout and that’s exactly how it turned out. But this loss is out of the way early and all of the 2022 goals are still on the table.
- Michigan State can still win the Big Ten (it’s 0-0 in conference play)
- Michigan State can still make a playoff run if it runs the table
- Michigan State can still make a New Year’s Six bowl if a playoff is off the table
- Michigan State can still prove doubters wrong and win important games
This was a minor setback on a tough schedule and I think it’s actually going to provide some learning lessons for the Spartans moving forward.
Mel Tucker was open and honest on Monday about how he felt regarding the loss and his coaching performance.