In the MSU vs. Michigan game today, the playing will be intense. Five things could make or break the game for the Spartans tonight.
1. The Spartans will need to stay on Kate Thompson and Rachel Sheffer during the game. These two ladies along with Nya Jordan and Jenny Ryan are the leading scorers on the Wolverines’ team. Sheffer recently became the 23rd 1,000 point scorer in Michigan history, so she will definitely be a force to be reckoned with out on the court.
2. The Spartans will need to keep Michigan out of the bonus by avoiding fouls. Michigan has a number of good shooters on their team. Getting into the bonus will just give the opposing team free points.
3. The Spartans will need to keep turnovers to a minimum. The team has an average of 14 turnovers per game. By limiting the number of turnovers in the game, they can keep the ball in their possession more and make more baskets.
4. The Spartans will need to keep getting the ball to their heavy hitters. By passing the ball to Annalise Pickrel, Klarissa Bell, Jasmine Thomas, Jasmine, Hines, and Kiana Johnson, they can rack up the points. Let’s see another career high score from a Spartan woman.
5. The Spartans will need to guard the arc. Since Michigan has some heavy-hitting 3-point scores on their team, Michigan State will need to make sure that the behind the arc opportunities do not exist for the Wolverines.